Write to Me!

You can send snail mail: Elder Aaron Daniel Howard, Mision Guatemala Ciudad Norte, Apartado Numero 951 A, Guatemala, Guatemala C.A. OR www.dearelder.com

Friday, September 2, 2011

What Pump It Up






This was hands down the craziest week of my life... first off: on Monday we went to ELESTOR to do divisions with Elder Ch'ulak because we're going to have to do baptisms Saturday. I stayed in Teleman with Elder Chanchavac. In the night, I woke up at like 3 AM, and he was suffocating. Earlier that night,I got down on my knees to pray when I remembered... I need to fill up my water bottle. I went to the other end of the house to fill up my water bottle, then went back to put my bottle in the fridge (which is close to my bed). So I turned on the light and I see Elder Chanchavac on his knees grabbing at my bed and he couldn't say anything. I just saw bile, or a lot of spit, on the floor and then I heard him cough ''agua!'' I grabbed my bottle and threw it to him. He drank it, then whatever was blocking his breathing went away. I have never seen anyone suffocate like that in my life. It took me a while to wake up, and I had no idea what was going on. It was a serious miracle. The next day... my companion couldn't get back from Ch'ulak because the people that were going to get interviewed weren't there... so I called some other missionaries (Elder Dilworth and Elder Asencio), and they came, because on Wednesday we had to take papers out of Panzos and out of Actela (in Santo Domingo) so we had to be two places at once. They came, and we did divisions again and I went to Santo Domiink with E. Dillywacker. When we got to the Tinta (which is in the valley), the people said there were no trucks because the roads were destroyed. So I took my plastic, that I use when it rains ,to cover like the 25 pounds of books that I was going to take to Rosalina and her daughters so my sweat wouldn't destroy them. Then we started to walk... like fifteen minutes into walking, of course it starts to rain... so we walked in the rain up the mountain. When we got to the place where you take legal papers out (kind of like the DMV) nobody was there. We asked where the people were, and some people said that the workers just went to eat. So we went and visited a few people that I knew, and we came back an hour later.. Nobody.. so we are sitting there waiting, and the people around us just told us, ''Oh you can just come back tomorrow..(this was Wednesday, and on Thursday we had interviews in Senahu and zone conference on Friday) I could not wait. I asked some kid if he knew where the person who worked there was. He did, so I asked him if he could show us. We went to a lady's house and I knocked on the door. I asked the lady if she wouldn't mind printing off a paper for me, and told her that we had hiked four hours in the rain to get this paper. She obliged, and we got her paper. We went and talked to Rosalina (the grandma that I baptized in Sacsuha) and Arturo's sister (our investigator, who I also baptized in Sacsuha) and I just unloaded books and pictures. I gave them one of those memory games that you bought me because we always used to play that with them. I also gave them a little money so that they could come to the marriage and baptism this week. Then we visited a few other people and slept on the floor in the church. At 4:30 in the morning, we woke up and hiked down to the Tinta , 6 miles soaked and muddy in the same clothes. But we got the paper, and when we got to Teleman, there was no water, so we couldn't bathe, haha. Then we went to Senahu and we had our interviews. My mission president is awesome! He is so nice and considerate. His wife is also just awesome! She gave the coolest talk in zone conference. Yesterday, our investigators came to church and everything was all set up for the marriage and baptism. What happened today was just another story in and of itself, but basically we had to take the papers of our investigator and his girlfriend to Panzos to set up the wedding, and the mayor's secretary would not do it. He absolutely hates missionaries and told us that he was too busy, and that he wouldn't be able to get married for a month. I was ready to cry because there was no reason that they couldn't do it for us. But then I called a member that was working there, and basically he convinced him to do it for us with a price. I had to buy this obstinate guy a Gatorade and something to eat, so that he would do me the favor!! Some things in this country are so messed up. Anyways, that's all. I don't have any more time, but there are some pictures of my investigator family. The one that is getting baptized this week.. God hears our prayers.
Love, Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment